Recovering from surgery can be a long and difficult process, but physical therapy can help make it easier. If you've recently undergone surgery and live in the St. Louis, MO area, More 4 Life Physical Therapy can help you get back to feeling like yourself again.
What is Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy is a healthcare profession that helps people regain strength, mobility, and function after an injury, surgery, or illness. A physical therapist (PT) works with you to develop a personalized treatment plan that addresses your specific needs and goals.
How Can Physical Therapy Help After Surgery?
Physical therapy can be particularly helpful after surgery. Surgery can leave you feeling weak, stiff, and in pain. Physical therapy can help you:
1. Reduce pain and inflammation
2. Regain strength and flexibility
3. Improve your strength, balance, and coordination
4. Restore your ability to do daily activities, such as walking, climbing stairs, and reaching overhead
5. Return to sport participation
What to Expect During Your Physical Therapy Sessions
Your first physical therapy session will likely include an evaluation where the PT will assess your strength, range of motion, functional deficits, and any pain or discomfort you're experiencing. Based on this assessment, the PT will develop a treatment plan tailored to your needs.
During your physical therapy sessions, you may:
1. Perform exercises to improve your strength, flexibility, and balance
2. Receive manual therapy, such as joint and soft-tissue mobilizations,, to improve your range of motion
3. Learn techniques to help you move more safely and efficiently
4. Understand how to move with proper mechanics to minimize re-injury
How Long Will Physical Therapy Take?
The length of your physical therapy treatment will depend on the type of surgery you've had and your individual recovery process. Your PT will work with you to develop a treatment plan that's tailored to your specific needs, goals, and timeline.
Common Surgeries that May Require Physical Therapy
There are several types of surgeries that may require physical therapy to aid in recovery. Some of the most common include:
1. Joint replacement surgery - after having a joint replaced, such as a knee or hip, physical therapy can help to restore mobility and reduce pain in the joint.
2. Spine surgery - physical therapy can be used to help with post-operative pain and stiffness, as well as to regain mobility and strength.
3. Rotator cuff surgery - after surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff, physical therapy can help to restore range of motion and strength to the shoulder.
4. ACL reconstruction - physical therapy can help to improve range of motion, strength, and balance after surgery to repair a torn ACL in the knee.
The Benefits of Physical Therapy After Surgery
Physical therapy can offer numerous benefits after surgery, including:
1. Reduced pain and inflammation
2. Improved mobility - physical therapy exercises can help to improve range of motion and mobility following surgery, allowing you to move more easily and perform daily tasks with less difficulty.
3. Prevention of further injury - physical therapy can help to strengthen muscles and improve flexibility, reducing the risk of further injury or re-injury.
4. Improved overall health - physical therapy can improve overall health and well-being, by helping to reduce stress, improve sleep, and increase energy levels.
5. Facilitated transition of return to work, sport participation, or performance of normal daily activities.
Choosing the Right Physical Therapist
When choosing a physical therapist to help with your post-surgery recovery, it's important to look for someone who is experienced, knowledgeable, and compassionate. At More 4 Life Physical Therapy, our team of physical therapists has extensive experience working with patients recovering from surgery. We use evidence-based techniques and individualized treatment plans to help each patient achieve their recovery goals.
Why Choose More 4 Life Physical Therapy?
At More 4 Life Physical Therapy in St. Louis, we pride ourselves on providing personalized care to every patient. Our experienced team of physical therapists will work with you to develop a treatment plan that addresses your unique needs and goals. We use evidence-based techniques to help you achieve your recovery goals.
Scheduling an Appointment
If you've recently undergone surgery and are struggling with pain, stiffness, or mobility issues, physical therapy may be able to help. Feel free to contact More 4 Life Physical Therapy in St. Louis to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced physical therapists.
We'll work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan that addresses your needs and goals, so you can get back to feeling like yourself again. You can call our office at 314-941-3970.