As people age, bodies can become more susceptible to injury. However, it is possible to minimize the risk of many common injuries with the right approach. In this post, we will discuss preventing injury with physical therapy and how physical therapy can help improve your overall health and well-being.
Understanding Common Injuries in Physical Therapy
Before we can prevent injuries, we need to understand what causes them. Here are some of the most common injuries we see:
1. Strains and sprains: These injuries occur when muscles or ligaments are stretched too much.
2. Tendinitis/Tendinopathy: Tendons connect muscle to bone in order to create movement. These injuries typically occur due to the overuse of the tendon.
3. Fractures: A fracture is a break in a bone. These can be caused by falls, trauma, or overuse.
4. Dislocations: A dislocation occurs when a bone is forced out of its normal position.
5. Rotator cuff injuries: The rotator cuff is a group of muscles/tendons that stabilize the shoulder joint. Injuries to this area are common and can cause pain and limited range of motion.
Preventing Injuries with Physical Therapy
Physical therapy is a great way to prevent injuries from occurring in the first place. Here are some of the ways physical therapy can help:
1. Improved flexibility: Stiff joints and muscles are more prone to injury. Physical therapy can help improve flexibility and reduce the risk of strains and sprains.
2. Strengthen muscles: Strong muscles can better support your joints and reduce the risk of injuries.
3. Improve balance: Falls are a common cause of fractures and dislocations. Physical therapy can help balance and reduce the risk of falls.
4. Correct posture: Poor posture can put extra stress on your muscles and joints, increasing the risk of injury.
Thus, physical therapy can improve your posturing to reduce the risk of injury when performing every day activities or when participating in your hobby/sport.
5. Reduce pain: Areas of the body that are painful do not function properly. As a result, other parts of your body compensate in order to perform tasks in your daily life.
Consequently, these compensations can lead to injury. So, physical therapy can teach you the proper and efficient ways to move to prevent injury.
When to See a Physical Therapist for Preventing Injuries?
If you are experiencing pain, limited range of motion, or other symptoms, it’s important to see a physical therapist as soon as possible. The earlier that you seek treatment, the easier it will be to prevent further injury and improve your overall health and well-being.
Why Choose More 4 Life Physical Therapy for Preventing Injuries?
At More 4 LIfe, we are dedicated to helping our patients prevent injuries and improve their overall health and well-being. Our team of experienced physical therapists has the knowledge and expertise to help you achieve your goals.
Furthermore, we take a personalized approach to each patient by tailoring treatment plans to their unique needs and goals.
Therefore, we are committed to providing the highest quality care in a supportive and compassionate environment.
Need Help with Preventing Injury with Physical Therapy?
If you are ready to take control of your and prevent injuries, we encourage you to request an appointment at More 4 Life.
Our team is here to help you achieve your goals and live life to the fullest. You can contact us at 314-941-3970 to schedule your first appointment.