If you're a serious runner, one of the things you probably hate most is being unable to run. If you're suffering from an knee injury, physical therapy can help you get back to running quickly and safely without knee pain. Learn how More 4 Life Physical Therapy helps St. Louis runners to run without knee pain.
How Can Physical Therapy Help St. Louis Runners?
Physical therapy can help St. Louis runners in a number of ways. Here are a few of them:
- Improving Form: Poor running form can put unnecessary stress on your knees and other joints, leading to pain and injury. Physical therapists can analyze your running form and provide guidance on how to improve it. This may involve exercises to strengthen weak muscles, stretches to improve flexibility, and adjustments to your gait or stride.
- Reducing Pain and Inflammation: If you're experiencing knee pain or inflammation, physical therapy can help. Your therapist may use techniques like manual therapy, ultrasound, or electrical stimulation to reduce pain and swelling. They may also prescribe exercises to improve range of motion and strengthen the muscles around your knee.
- Preventing Future Injuries: Physical therapy can also help prevent future knee injuries. Your therapist can help you develop a personalized exercise program that will strengthen the muscles around your knees and improve your overall flexibility and mobility. This can help reduce your risk of developing knee pain or other injuries in the future.
What to Expect During Physical Therapy
If you're new to physical therapy, you may be wondering what to expect. Here's what typically happens during physical therapy with a running specialist:
- Evaluation: Your physical therapist will evaluate your condition and discuss your symptoms, medical history, and treatment goals. If you're having physical therapy for knee pain due to running, your evaluation may also include an analysis of your running form. Therefore, it's a good idea to bring running clothes and running shoes to your evaluation.
- Treatment: Based on your evaluation, your physical therapist will develop a personalized treatment plan that may include exercises, stretches, manual therapy, and other techniques to relieve your knee pain and get you back to running. You'll also receive advice on the right types of running shoes and orthotics to help you. Finally, you'll learn how to improve your running form to prevent future knee injuries.
- Monitoring Progress: Your physical therapist will monitor your progress and adjust your treatment plan as needed to ensure you achieve your goal of getting back to running safely without knee pain.
When to See a Physical Therapist
If you're experiencing knee pain or other issues related to running, it's a good idea to see a physical therapist. The sooner you address the issue, the better your chances of a full recovery. Here are some signs that it's time to see a physical therapist:
- You're experiencing pain or discomfort while running or doing other activities.
- You've recently suffered a knee injury, such as a sprain or strain.
- You've been diagnosed with a knee condition, such as runner's knee or patellar tendinitis.
- You have knee pain when running downhill
- You've have knee pain or discomfort that's not going away with rest or self-treatments.
What Kind Of Physical Therapist To See For Running Problems?
You want to make sure that your physical therapist understands the biomechanics of running. They shouldn't just look at your knee, but also your foot, ankle, and hip. Your physical therapist should also be familiar with different types of running shoes and orthotics, as well as how to fit you for orthotics if you need them.
Why Choose More 4 Life For Your Running Physical Therapy?
If you're looking for a running physical therapy clinic in St. Louis, More 4 Life is a great choice. Our team of physical therapists are board-certified specialist in orthopedic physical therapy. We help St. Louis runners overcome knee pain and other issues related to running so they can have a quick and safe return to running.
We'll also help get you stronger, run more efficiently, and learn how to prevent future injuries so that you don't have to take MORE time off from running.
Want To Get Back To Running Without Knee Pain?
If you're ready to overcome knee pain and get back to running, request an appointment tap the button below to request an appointment with one of our specialist physical therapists.