Do You Get Back Pain On The Lower Right Side?
Watch the video below to learn a common cause of back pain on the lower right side, plus a simple stretch that you can use to relieve it!
What Causes Back Pain On The Lower Right Side?
Common causes of back pain on the lower right side are are:
A tight quadradtus lumborum muscle - this is the muscle between your ribcage and pelvis
Tight hip flexors muscles - one of your hip flexor muscles (the psoas major) actually attaches to your spine. When your right hip flexors are tight, they can create a lot of compression on the spine and cause lower back pain on the right side.
How Can You Relive Back Pain on The Lower Right Side?
Use this stretch to relieve right-sided lower back pain:
- Kneel down with the right knee on the ground.
- Roll your pelvis underneath of you
- Keep your spine in a neutral position
(You should now be feeling a stretch in the front of your right thigh)
- Raise your right arm up in the air
- Lift up your right hand towards the ceiling, as far as it will go
- Take a deep breath in (you should feel the air in the lower right part of the rib cage)
- Hold it for 1 second
- Breathe out
- Do this for 5 breaths. For each breath, try to lift your right hand up a little higher
- FOCUS on filling the right part of your abdomen with air!
Want Some More Tips To Relieve Lower Back Pain?
Click the button below to download our FREE Back Pain Guide...
But What Causes Right Sided Lower Back Pain In The First Place?
Sure, you may have tight muscles in your hip flexors and lower back...
But how did they get that way in the first place?
There are many different things that can cause your hip flexors and lower back muscles to get tight in the first place, but some common causes are:
- Sitting too long
- Sitting without back support
- Sitting with your legs crossed
- Standing with more weight on one leg than the other (in this case often the right side).
- Repeated or prolonged bending
What Other Exercises Can Help Back Pain On The Lower Right Side?
Because the muscles on the outside of the right hip often get overstretched and weak, strengthening these muscles (the hip abductors and hip external rotators) can also help right side lower back pain.
Here are some links to posts about hip strengthening exercises that can help your lower back pain:
Hopefully you find these tips helpful in relieving your lower back pain.
Still have questions? Check out our article that answers Why Does My Back Hurt On The Lower Right Side?
Need More Help For Lower Back Pain?
Click the button below to request a Free Consultation (in person, by phone, or virtually)